The state Highway 72 International Bridge in Baudette is among the notable projects completed in Minnesota during the 2021 construction season.
“This year’s construction program delivered new bridges and smoother roads, and improved designs to create better connections and mobility for people walking and biking. Several projects also addressed aging infrastructure to help rejuvenate main streets in communities across Minnesota,” said MnDOT Commissioner Margaret Anderson Kelliher. “The projects completed this year will help us achieve our long-term vision of a safer and more sustainable and equitable transportation system that serves all Minnesotans.”
Other projects of note completed during the 2021 construction season include 35W@94 Downtown to Crosstown in Minneapolis, I-94 Maple Grove to Clearwater, Highway 14 Dodge Center to Owatonna, and Highway 61 in Grand Marais.
2021 was the second full construction season to occur during the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite the challenges of the pandemic and additional safety protocols – as well as some minor delays due to the drought and water restrictions – MnDOT crews and contractors worked tirelessly to complete most projects on-time and on-budget.
“We are grateful to the crews, contractors and suppliers who worked diligently to overcome supply chain challenges – and to all Minnesotans for their patience during road construction,” added Anderson Kelliher. “Some work zones around the state will remain active into November, so motorists should remain alert for crews and equipment. Always slow down, move over to give workers room to safely work, and be courteous of other drivers in the work zone with you.”
Major projects completed in 2021 in northeast Minnesota, in MnDOT District 1, include:
- Highway 61 Grand Marais – Completed a two-year urban reconstruction project in Grand Marais with complete streets improvements.
- Highway 61 Grand Portage – Resurfaced Highway 61, replaced culverts, improved intersections and built a new bridge at Hollow Rock Creek.
- Highway 2 Itasca County – Repaved 19 miles of Highway 2 between Prairie River and Grand Rapids.
- Highway 37 Gilbert – Completed a two-year project through the city of Gilbert with resurfacing, safety and accessibility improvements.
- Highway 53 near Pike Lake in St. Louis County – Resurfaced southbound lanes between Midway Road and Independence.
More construction highlights by region can also be found at www.mndot.gov/construction. For a complete list of current MnDOT construction projects, plans and studies, see www.mndot.gov/roadwork.
For real-time travel information, visit 511mn.org or download the 511MN app.