From the The Daily Journal, 1971
15 years ago
Eldon and Melissa Voigt of International Falls recently were honored by the Minnesota State Tree Farm Committee for their high standards of good stewardship and commitment to managing their lands. The Voigts were named Regional Tree Farmers of the Year for 2006, representing the Northern Region. The Voigts’ tree farm consists of 228 acres of land near Ericsburg. Eldon and Melissa purchased the land from Melissa’s family 12 years ago… A reception will be conducted on October 21 for Christie (Hartje) and John Cronin, both of International Falls, who were married today in Las Vegas, NV.
25 years ago
Mary Mason celebrated her 100th birthday at the Littlefork Nursing Home, where she resides. Several of her children and grandchildren attended the party. She was born in 1896 in Parker’s Prairie, Minn., where she was raised with seven other siblings. After attending school through the ninth grade she met and married Adelbert Mason Oct. 15, 1918. The couple raised 12 children.
40 years ago
Rose Lucachick and William Axt, both of International Falls, were presented awards during the annual Minnesota Association of Civil Defense Directors banquet. Lucachick was honored for her outstanding work as director of the Koochiching County Civil Defense Agency. Axt was awarded for his work as mobilization designee officer for Koochiching County Civil Defense… Rainy River Community College acting provost Ray Berg has been named provost for the Rainy River Campus of the re-organized regional college, to be named Arrowhead Community College.
50 years ago
Restoration of Smokey the Bear was completed this week by John Wiczek and son of Ranier. The Falls landmark since 1954 was damaged by vandals who set fire to the 26-foot statue in Sept. 1970. Repairs with fiberglass and paint were begun in August at an estimated cost of $800. The project was under the direction of the Falls Jaycees with donations from businesses and individuals.
60 years ago
D.J. Mongrain, 62, operator of the Mongrain Trucking Service and long-time border resident, died today at Falls Memorial Hospital. He was born May 19, 1898, in St. Stanislac, Quebec, and emigrated to the United States in 1925 from Fort Frances. Since 1937, he had operated Mongrain Trucking Service with his sons. He is survived by his wife, Eva, four sons and two daughters.
70 years ago
Births at Falls Memorial Hospital: Son, to Mr. and Mrs. Lester Briggs, 1100 Third Street, weight, 7 pounds, 5 ounces. Daughter, to Mr. and Mrs. Walter Lepper, International Falls, weight, 7 pounds, 5 ounces. Daughter, to Mr. and Mrs. Phillip Misner, 1008 Fourteenth Street, weight, 7 pounds, 6 ounces. Daughter, to Mr. and Mrs. Donald Fish, International Falls, weight, 6 pounds, 12 ounces.
80 years ago
Meadowbrook News by Mrs. John Lind: Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Berg and family moved to Littlefork where they will make their home during the winter months; Mrs. Harry Noland has returned to her school in Strathcona after being called here by the sudden death of her father, Leon Sartain; Mrs. Herman Staples is being employed at International Falls; George and James Dobbs returned home Friday from the harvest fields of North Dakota.
Compiled by Catherine Crawford and Marge Veeder. Courtesy of the International Falls Public Library.